Sunday, May 12, 2013

Music is Feeling with Sound

I don't usually post videos on this site, but this one deserves to be enjoyed.  The quote, "Music is Feelings with Sound" comes to mind when I watch this.




This is Banco Sabadell's flashmob to celebrate their 130 year anniversary.  I love this music.  And think of the logistics it took to stage this, with musicians and singers just lurking about, ready to jump in at the right time.  I don't know, the whole place might have been roped off like a movie set and everyone was an actor.  The cameras sure did seem to be everywhere.  But it came off well.  I was impressed.

What most people don't know is this piece is actually Beethoven's 9th symphony, and in my opinion much better than his well known 5th symphony.  It is my second favorite of all Beethoven's works.

I often try to incorporate music into my writing, because music can evoke feelings.  When I hear this piece, I don't just feel joy, but it's more like a whole crowd of joy.  It's very uplifting and powerful.  It is meant to be felt outside in the throngs of listeners.  It's meant to be shouted from on high.

However, my number one favorite Beethoven piece is the polar opposite of this one.  It's his sonata #14.  Yes, his Moonlight Sonata.  That little piece is meant to be enjoyed alone.  I don't know why, I'm just a lowly writer and don't understand the logistics of music.  I only know what I feel.  You can't listen to his 9th symphony and his 14th sonata in the same mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment