Saturday, May 18, 2013

Manly Months Report

With only two weeks left in our Manly Months the pressure is on to deliver more of that manly stuff!  Don't worry men, there are plenty of other manly 19th century books out there, even if I can't get to them all.

I've reviewed four books and am working on two more.
  • King Solomon's Mines
  • Captains Courageous
  • Heart of Darkness
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • The Black Arrow
  • The Frozen Pirate
I think I can squeeze in at least one more after this.  But there are many others I wish I had time for.  So much adventure literature of the 19th century took the form of either true war stories, or sea tales.  Here are some of the others I hope to read.
  • W. Clark Russell - various sea stories
  • Captain Frederick Marryat - various sea stories
  • Victor Hugo - Toilers of the Sea (1866)
  • Stephen Crane - The Open Boat (1897)
  • Richard Henry Dana - Two Years Before the Mast (1840)
  • Winston Churchill - various war stories including The River War (1899)

No comments:

Post a Comment